To be Amazing, your scheduling solution must deliver benefits that far exceed your wildest expectations.
Although every scheduling solution is unique, the fundamentals of amazing scheduling solutions are always the same:
- Simple – Your scheduling solution must be able to automate your complex processes and make them easy to understand.
- Fast – Your scheduling solution must do in minutes what used to take you hours and/or days because speed gives you have a clear advantage
- Smart – Your scheduling solution must be able to provide you with the information you need to make smart scheduling decisions.
- Accurate – Your scheduling solution must be able to replicate your tribal knowledge so that it makes sense to your operators.
- Visible – your scheduling solution needs to provide management with data they don’t currently have so they can understand cause and effect and identify problems long before they happen
You Need a Scheduling Strategy
Your scheduling strategy will always be unique to your company and it must support your strategic direction. Attempting to resolve your scheduling problems without a clearly defined vision is usually futile. Your scheduling strategy should include the following;
- A full understanding of your current weaknesses and their implications
- A full understanding of your objectives
- A realistic vision of what success will (and won’t) look like
- An understanding of the critical APS software requirements
- A step by step outline of what it will take to achieve success
- A realistic understanding of the timeline and the benefits of each step
You Need a Scheduling Partner
Your Scheduling Partner is the most critical element of your journey to Amazing. Selecting the wrong partner will have a disastrous impact on your short-term and more importantly your long-term success. Your scheduling partner should have the following capabilities;
- A proven track record of successfully implementing APS solutions (Hint: If your scheduling partner is learning on the job then you will almost certainly fail.
- Your strategic partner must not only be able to understand manufacturing, your objectives and your business, they must be there to guide you every step of the way.
- Your scheduling partner should be able to break down complex issues with innovative thinking and creative problem solving.
- Improved on-time deliveries – attracts and keeps key customers
- Reduced dependence on key people – undocumented tribal knowledge
- Reduced Inventories – WIP & Cycle time
- Elimination of confusion – reduces manual expediting and conflicting priorities
- Improved Revenues and Profitability – increased demand, attracting new customers, reduced overtime, improved productivity and increased revenues